The incidence of the coronavirus has taken an unprecedented twist in Nigeria.
Rates of infected persons has quadrupled in the space of three months despite the nations’s lockdown of economic activities and restriction of movement.
Businesses were shut down, social gatherings were banned, inter-state & international travel was suspended yet Nigeria’s rate of infected persons keeps skydiving.
The first case of coronavirus was on February 28 2020. Efforts by the government to flatten the curve has been of minimal effect which is a cause for concern for the Nigerian citizens.
Below is the up-to-date Covid-19 statistics as recorded by Nigeria center for Disease Control.
- On March 23 2020; the active cases was 32 | Discharged cases 2 | Deaths 1 | Total confirmed 35.
- April 16 2020; new cases 35 | Discharged cases 152 | | Deaths 13 | Total confirmed 442.
- April 24 2020; new cases 114 | Discharged cases 208 | | Deaths 32 | Total confirmed 1095.
- May 8 2020; new cases 386 | Discharged cases 679 | | Deaths 117 | Total confirmed 3912.
- May 23 2020; new cases 265 | Discharged cases 2174 | | Deaths 221 | Total confirmed 7562.
According to NCDC, for the first time there has been no virus-related death recorded in 24 hours on May 23 2020.
The number of recoveries has increased to 2174, with the active cases as at May 23 pegged at 5131.
As Nigeria settles into the eased lockdown declared by the federal government, the NCDC has issued a modified set of guidelines for businesses as part of efforts to contain the spread in workplaces.
In the document released and entitled ” Guidelines for Employers and Businesses in Nigeria“, the agency highlights five points for work environment as follows:
- Washing and sanitizing of hands regularly
- Encourage employees to cover their nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing followed by washing of hands.
- Ensure provision of covered bins in office premises.
- Office and business premises should be cleaned and disinfected daily
- Keep all offices well ventilated
Self-medication is highly discouraged. If you feel symptoms of Covid-19, seek medical advice and if you are confirmed positive, self-isolate in an approved facility.
Kindly observe the aforementioned precautionary measures in order to flatten the curve else we might end up flattening the economy.
Subscribe to TripGuide Mailing List